Monday, August 10, 2009

Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange Chicken



Trader Joe's is my Go-To store when it comes to easy, quick fixings at a small price. There are a number of favorite items I get there. Not all of their items are equally tasty and easy to make, but it is fun to try out the items in their frozen food section. From time to time, I'll feature a few of their items on my blog with actual photos of the item and how it turns out when I prepare it.

Item: Mandarin Orange Chicken
Cost: $4.99 for 20 ounces
Aisle: Frozen Foods
Preparation: Easy
Best Prepared: Oven Baked
Served with: Jasmine or Brown Rice
Servings: Enough for two people

I take a sheet pan, line it with foil, preheat my oven and pop the chicken in there for 20 minutes. The sauce comes in two packets and you can throw them in a bowl of warm water to thaw out. Let the chicken cool slightly, then toss it in a bowl with the packets of sauce. Their chicken tends to be a bit more bready than meaty and at times their sauce is a bit too vinegar tasting, so I usually add about 1-1/2 packets of sauce.

Microwave the rice for 3-4 minutes and voila - a nice Chinese style meal for two for about $6.00. That's a bargain beatnik meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment